Is Valentine’s Day a Public Holiday in Canada?
Valentine’s Day is not a public holiday in Canada, according to Holidays 2022. Most businesses, stores, and shops as well as all schools, universities, and government offices remain open on this Day. As a matter of fact, many of these establishments could be seen adorned in pink and red - the colours symbolizing love as well as the Day that commemorates it. Hotels and restaurants are usually busier, tending to couples celebrating it, and Public Transportations also follow their customary schedule.
Valentine’s Day History & Traditions
Valentine’s Day history holds relevant significance and commemorates the beginning of its observance. It is believed that Valentine’s Day is celebrated in the name of Saint Valentine – however, which St Valentine that would be is unclear. Several stories are prevalent in various places. As a result, the Day is also known as the Feast of Saint Valentine or Saint Valentine’s Day. There were several Saint Valentines in the early Christian ages, but the ones for whom a feast was declared in AD 496 were St Valentine of Rome who was a priest and that of Terni, who was a bishop. Stories for various Valentines have mixed up over time, but some of the basics remain. These include:
- The Roman Emperor Claudius executed St Valentine for helping persecuted Christians. The Emperor asked Valentine to convert to paganism, and the Saint instead tried to get Claudius to convert to Christianity.
- One St. Valentine supposedly helped young soldiers get married when law forbade the marriage of those enlisted in the army. He was executed for this. Some stories even claim that St Valentine would carve out little hearts out of parchment to remind these men of their vows and love of God.
- Another St. Valentine (probably one of the two above) is said to have cured the blind daughter of his jailor, with the power of his faith. As a result, the entire family converted to Christianity, and the daughter planted a pink-blossomed almond tree over or near his grave.
- St. Valentine wrote a last letter to his beloved and signed it ’Your Valentine’, which later gave birth to Valentine’s Day tradition of saying “Be my Valentine” or “Your Valentine”.
- St Valentine is said to have worn an amethyst ring, which had a carving of the Cupid on it. Amethyst is said to attract love and is the birthstone of February.
On the other hand, many believe that Valentine’s Day is simply the Christianised version of the Pagan festival of fertility, Lupercalia which falls in mid-February.
In any case, Valentine’s Day in Canada gained popularity in the mid-nineteenth century. Regardless of its origins, it is celebrated in modern fashion – through candlelit dinners, Valentine’s Day gifts, Valentine’s Day flowers, and other modes of expressing love.
Valentine’s Week in Canada
As in most other countries, Valentine’s Day in Canada is prefaced with an entire week filled with romantic gestures. Celebrations begin from 7 February which is celebrated as Rose Day and culminates on 14 February, Valentine’s Day. Here is the complete list of Valentine’s Week as celebrated in Canada:
- 7 February: Rose Day
- 8 February: Propose Day
- 9 February: Chocolate Day
- 10 February: Teddy Day
- 11 February: Promise Day
- 12 February: Hug Day
- 13 February: Kiss Day
- 14 February: Valentine’s Day
- 15 February: Slap Day
- 16 February: Kick Day
- 17 February: Perfume Day
- 18 February: Flirt Day
- 19 February: Confession Day
- 20 February: Missing Day
- 21 February: Breakup Day
Public Life on Valentine’s Day in Canada
The celebration of Valentine’s Day in Canada doesn’t differ much from other places where this holiday is popular. The classic customs include giving Valentine’s Day flowers to your beloved (usually roses, or something pink or red), offering them confectionery (chocolates etc. in heart shape), Valentine’s Day gifts, and dining together in a romantic setting. Heart-shaped gifts, teddy bears, cakes, etc. are also some customary gifts, and so are clothes and jewellery. Many couples even choose this Day to take the next step in their relationship and grandly propose to their partner. Apart from this, there are a variety of things you can do to celebrate Valentine’s Day in Canada. People are always searching for some new and unique Valentine’s Day ideas. Here are a few you can try:
- Movies at a drive-in: Retro and/or romantic movies are a hit amongst couples.
- Spend time together at a couple’s spa or lounge.
- Do something new together, like painting, skating, dancing, cooking, etc.
- Find a place for a candlelight dinner and then go stargazing.
- Go to a wine tasting: classy yet romantic, a perfect date
- Stay in and plan the perfect date indoors, starting from breakfast-in-bed to indoor picnic, and then a candlelight dinner at the balcony, porch, or roof.
Valentine’s Day Flowers
Sending flowers has been a way of communicating one’s emotions since the Victorian Era. Below is a list of some beautiful and romantic Valentine’s Day flowers for you to choose from and send to your beloved.
The roses are the most popular Valentine’s Day flowers, but what does your bouquet say? Let us know the meaning of each colour of the Rose:
|Red||Romantic love, beauty, respect, and courage.|
|Pink||Friendship, appreciation, perfect happiness, admiration, grace, and gentleness.|
|Yellow||Friendship, joy, new beginnings, and remembrance. If the yellow rose has red tips, then that indicates falling in love.|
|White||True love, soulmates, purity, humility, reverence, youthfulness,innocence, and charm.|
|Orange/ Coral||Passion, enthusiasm, desire, and fascination.|
|Lilac||Love at first sight, enchantment|
Other Valentine’s Day flowers include:
- Peonies signify romance, bashfulness, and prosperity.
- Red Chrysanthemums stand for love and passion.
- Ranunculus or Buttercups imply charm, radiance, and attraction.
- Gerberas indicate cheerfulness, beauty, purity, and innocence.
- Tulips stand for elegance, comfort, and warmth.
- Peruvian lilies promise devotion and friendship.
- Oriental lilies are for sophistication, class, beauty, and style.
- Orchids signify not only love and beauty, but also strength and luxury in it, as well as indicate seduction.
- Pink Carnations are best for a recently developed (or developing) relationship as they stand for fascination and new love.
- Irises in their dark blue or purple colour imply royalty as well as faith.
- Daisies are indications of loyalty, innocence, beauty, simplicity, and patience.
- Purple Lilacs also imply new love and youthful innocence and exuberance.
- Gillyflowers or stock flowers signify content and happy life.
- Forget-me-nots clearly express a never-ending and true love.
- Bluebells purport warmth, care, kindness, and humility.
Valentine’s Day Observances
|വർഷങ്ങൾ||ആഴ്ച ദിവസം||ദിവസം||പേര്||അവധി തരം|
|2019||വ്യാഴം||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
|2020||വെള്ളി||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
|2021||ഞായ||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
|2022||തിങ്ക||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
|2023||ചൊവ്വ||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
|2024||ബുധ||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
|2025||വെള്ളി||14 ഫബ്രുവരി||Valentine’s Day||ആചാരം|
1. Since when is Valentine’s Day connected to romantic love?
Earlier, Valentine’s Day was only a feast held in honour of St. Valentine. However, sometime around 1380, Geoffrey Chaucer wrote the poem Parlement of Foules which supposedly connected Valentine’s Day with romantic love.
2. What gifts do people want most on Valentine’s Day in Canada?
According to a study in 2016, most people want to simply spend time with their partner more than anything else on Valentine’s Day in Canada.
3. Do children celebrate Valentine’s Day in Canada?
Many schools organize Valentine’s Day in Canada. Children bring cards for their favourite teachers, while many make Valentine’s Day cards for their parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. at school.
Valentine’s Day Celebrations in Other Countries
- Valentine’s Day in the United States
- Valentine’s Day Celebrations Around the World
Tl;dr For those who only wish to know When is Valentine’s Day in 2022? The date is 14 February, തിങ്കള്.
We Hope That This Article On Valentine’s Day 2022 In Canada Was Enlightening For You! Thank You For Being A Part Of Time.AstroSage!!