Is Good Friday A Public Holiday In Canada?
Good Friday in Canada is a statutory holiday in the country, according to Holidays 2024. All state schools and most businesses remain closed on this day. However, in Quebec, it is a partial holiday instead. This means that the employers can choose to give the day off to their employees on either Good Friday 2024 or Easter Monday.
Good Friday Holiday History in Canada
The twelve verses of the Bible explain the history of Good Friday in Canada and elsewhere, pretty clearly. (John 13:31 - 18:1, John 18:1 - 28, Matthew 26:57 - 75, John 18:28 - 19:16, Matthew 27:3 - 32, Mark 15:16 - 32, Matthew 27:33 - 54, Luke 23:32 - 49, John 19:25 - 37, Mark 15:43 - 47, John 19:38 - 42, and Matthew 27:62 - 66). The commemoration is held in honour of the events well-known as the Crucifixion of Christ. When the Son of God was tried and punished at Cavalry for blasphemy, that day is honoured as Good Friday in Canada.
After the events of the Last Supper, where it is believed that Jesus Christ prophesied about the upcoming betrayal, the Savior and his twelve apostles went into the gardens for a walk. There, Judas kissed Redeemer and called him ’Rabbi’, giving him away as the Christ, to the guards. They captured Jesus and led him to Sanhedrin, where the most famous and unjust trial in history took place.
It is believed that the event broke several Mosaic Laws, as the priests brought forth fake witnesses and used every black trick in the book. The Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, washed his hands off the entire case on behest of his wife. However, he was also afraid of riots and losing his seat; thus, he gave up the King of Jews and allowed the public to ask for His Crucifixion. Good Friday in Canada is the commemoration of this very solemn event. This was the day when the man failed God, and it was the Son of God who suffered for their mistakes.
Jesus was crucified at Calvary, along with two other thieves. As per the gospels, the Good Shepherd continued to writhe in agony for nine hours. About the time they ended, he cried out, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” As soon as this happened, Jesus lost his life, and the earth shook. The temple veil was torn from the top to bottom, rocks split open, and so did several graves. Ever since then, the black day is honoured as God Friday or Good Friday in Canada.
When Jesus resurrected three days later, the day is celebrated as Easter Sunday, and together the days from Friday to Sunday are called the Paschal Triduum, Easter Triduum, or the Holy Triduum.
Public Life on Good Friday In Canada
The public life on Good Friday in Canada is quite similar to the traditions around the world. Of course, there are certain differences, but many rituals are the same as well. For example, the ceremony of the “Breaking of the Bread” is omitted in most churches on Good Friday in Canada and elsewhere. The chapels are also shrouded in black across the globe, thus giving the name Black Friday to this day. Apart from these are many more Good Friday traditions in Canada. They include:
- Special proceedings, to honour Jesus and his teachings, are held in church gatherings. Some people also mourn for the death of the Son of God on Good Friday in Canada. Many praise his contributions to the Christian religion.
- The typical Orthodox churches remove the cross from the sanctuary. Where the churches can’t be removed as they are permanent, they are instead draped with black cloth to signify death.
- The candles aren’t lit, and the statues are covered with a black cloth in many places.
- The Good Friday in Canada services ends with the toiling of the church bell 33 times, to indicate each year the Redeemer spent on earth.
- Hot cross buns are famous throughout the world for this day. In Canada, too, the dessert is cooked and distributed.
- The last 12 Acts of Jesus are placed outside churches in some places, on Good Friday in Canada. The worshippers move from one depiction to another, praying, thus following The Way of The Cross.
Good Friday Observances
|2019||Fri||19 April||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
|2020||Fri||10 April||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
|2021||Fri||2 April||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
|2022||Fri||15 April||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
|2023||Fri||7 April||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
|2024||Fri||29 March||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
|2025||Fri||18 April||Good Friday||National Holiday, Christian|
1. Why Is This Solemn Day Called “Good” Friday in Canada?
Many believe the Good is actually a corruption of the term ’God’, hence the name Good Friday in Canada. Another reason is that Good is deemed to mean Holy; thus, the day is Holy Friday.
2. What is open or closed on Good Friday in Canada?
Banks, government offices, libraries, post offices, etc. remain open on Good Friday in Canada but follow altered timings. So do stores and restaurants. Schools and universities stay closed.
Good Friday Celebrations In Other Countries
Tl;dr For those who only wish to know When is Good Friday in 2024? The date is 29 March, Friday.
We Hope That This Article On Good Friday 2024 In Canada Was Enlightening For You! Thank You For Remaining Connected With Time.AstroSage!!