Is Memorial Day In The US A Public Holiday?
Memorial Day in the US is an official public holiday. On this day, most businesses, stores and shops, as well as all schools remain closed. Most public transports also do not follow their usual route.
About Memorial Day in the US
Memorial Day celebrations in the US are about remembering and honouring the fallen of the United States Army. This day was initially established to offer respect to the
martyred soldiers of the American Civil War. Initially celebrated on 30 May, from 1868 to 1970, this holiday was then shifted to the last Monday of May. Earlier commemorations
were a solemn, grave affair about respecting the veterans, tending to the families of the dead, and decorating their graves. From as early as 1865, after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln,
women in the South would gather to decorate the graves of those fallen in the war. Soon it started turning into tradition, and the day, originally called Decoration Day, started being celebrated
as Memorial Day in the US.
Unofficially, summer begins with Decoration Day in the US. Typically people turn this long weekend into a vacation. Still, the organizers request Americans to remember the fallen, the number of whom is more than 1.8 million. Apart from this, more than 83,000 men and women of the United States Armed Forces are missing in action or prisoners of the wars. These wars include not only the Civil Wars, but also World War II, 1991 Gulf War, the Cold War, Korean War, and Vietnam War.
What Are Some Memorial Day Traditions?
Memorial Day in the US is about honouring the veterans of the United State Armed Forces. The traditions associated with the day include:
1. Decorating the graves of the martyrs of the US Armed Forces with the American flag, to honour their sacrifice.
2. Maintain a moment of silence at 3 pm on Memorial Day in the US, in remembrance of the fallen of the United States Army.
3. Visit the home of a veteran soldier of the US Army and do something for them, to let them know that their efforts are not forgotten.
4. Attend one of the parades, which are numerous and take place in each state and district of the United States, to honour the army men and women.
5. Raise the flag at half-mast until noon, on Decoration Day in the US.
6. Wear a red poppy to remember the martyred soldiers of the United States Armed Forces.
7. A 24-note bugle call known as Taps is played during the memorial service.
Memorial Day Observances
|2019||Mon||27 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
|2020||Mon||25 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
|2021||Mon||31 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
|2022||Mon||30 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
|2023||Mon||29 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
|2024||Mon||27 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
|2025||Mon||26 May||Memorial Day||Federal Holiday|
1. What is the meaning of Memorial Day in the USA?
Memorial Day in the US is a day that commemorates the United States Armed Forces and those who died in its service. This day, also known as Decoration Day.
2. Who is closed on Memorial Day?
Most government offices, banks, mail, stock market, schools and some private businesses will be closed on Memorial Day.
3. Is Memorial Day just for those who died in war?
Initially Memorial Day honoured military people who died in the Civil War (1861-1865). The holiday now pays tribute to those who died in every war while serving with the US. It is also known as Decoration Day.
4. Why do you not say Happy Memorial Day?
It is not appropriate to say "Happy Memorial Day," just as you would not be celebrating the funeral of a loved one. This is a moment to recall our downfall; it should be a somber reminder of the heroic sacrifice made by men and women to keep the United States safe and equal.
We Hope That This Article On Memorial Day 2022 In The US Was Enlightening For You! Thank You For Connecting With Us!!