Is Eid al-Adha in UAE a Public Holiday?
Yes, Eid al-Adha in UAE is a public holiday and one of the most long awaited festivals in the list of holidays 2021 in UAE. Also known as the feast of sacrifice, this day is given off for the general population and most of the public institutions and organisations remain closed on this day. Eid al-Adha often falls on the tenth day of Dhual-Hijjah, which also happens to be the last and twelfth month according to the Islamic calendar.
Eid al-Adha History
As per the Holy Quran about Eid al-Adha History , Ibrahim did not hesitate and was almost ready to sacrifice his son when a divine voice asked him to make a ’great sacrifice’. To his utter disbelief, a lamb gets sacrificed instead of his son at the end. The same story is also a part of the Bible and is quite a familiar one for Jews and Christians.
However, there is a minor difference and that is the belief of Muslims that the name of the was Ishmael and not Isaac, as it has been mentioned in the Old Testament. Eid Al Lahma is another name attributed to this festival which falls in the list of holidays, which literally means ’Meat Eid’.
What are the Traditions Followed on Eid al-Adha in the United Arab Emirates?
1. The festival takes place for three days where people carry out various religious ceremonies as opposed to Eid Al Fitr, which gets concluded within one day.
2. The main celebrations are carried out in accordance with the lunar sightings, which is why the timings may differ from country to country.
3. The conclusion of the Holy pilgrimage to Mecca takes place with this Eid al-Adha in the United Arab Emirates, which lasts for three days.
4. While the feast of Eid Al Adha in UAE goes on, Muslims re-enact the episode which showcases Ibrahim’s devotion and bravery. People do so by sacrificing a lamb or a cow.
5. A particular family eats about one third of the meal which is prepared and the other third is sent to friends and relatives. Finally, the remaining portion is donated to the poor and needy people.
6. As charity is primarily associated with Eid Al Adha in the United Arab Emirates, people give out food, money and clothes to the ones who are in need of them.
Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice) Observances
|2019||Sun||11 August||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
|2020||Fri||31 July||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
|2021||Tue||20 July||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
|2022||Sat||9 July||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
|2023||Wed||28 June||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
|2024||Sun||16 June||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
|2025||Fri||6 June||Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice)||National Holiday|
1. For how many days does Eid Al Adha last in the United Arab Emirates?
Eid Al Adha in the United Arab Emirates lasts for about three days.
2. How many leaves are granted for Eid Al Adha in UAE?
Both private and public sector employees can avail a three day long paid leave on the occasion of Eid Al Adha in UAE.
3. How important is Eid Al Adha in the UAE?
It is one of the primary religious festivals of the folks residing in UAE.
4. Which activities are carried out during Eid Al Adha in UAE?
Primarily donation and charity activities are carried out during Eid Al Adha in UAE.
Eid al-Adha Celebrations In Other Countries
So, this is all you need to know about Eid Al Adha 2021 in the United Arab Emirates. Thank you so much for connecting with us and hope that you enjoyed reading this piece!!