Is 2nd January a Public Holiday?
2nd January is an optional public holiday according to Holidays 2022 in the UK , with several states observing this day as a holiday, while others leading a normal, active life. As said, this day in Scotland is given the status of a public holiday. Folks of Scotland get engaged in the celebrations of this public holiday in a very quiet and sober manner. They heartily welcome the New Year with friends and family members.
History of 2nd January in Scotland
2nd January history holds relevant significance and commemorates the beginning of its observance. The Hogmanay can be regarded as one of the prominent traditional Scottish holidays. As it has been
mentioned already, Hogmanay is the name attributed to the New Year celebrations taking place in this concerned country, which gets stretched until the second of January.
Now, the roots of Hogmanay can be traced back to the pre-Christian era. Similar kinds of celebrations used to take place during mid-winter in this particular era too. Such celebrations were marked by grandiose feasts, huge fires burnt in order to lure the Sun back to the Earth. Ever since then, Hogmanay celebrations have taken the centre stage in Scotland and traditionally, this festival is given more prominence than Christmas.
Public Life on Second January in Scotland
The grand new year celebrations tone down by the time the January 2nd arrives. Usually some general private parties take place on this day, when Scottish folks decide to spend some quiet and harmonious
time with their friends and family members. All the important business and professional institutes remain closed on this day, and manage to give a full holiday vibe to the natives.
Public transport services also remain available in a limited manner. If either or both the dates of first and second of January happens to be a Saturday or Sunday, then the upcoming days are observed as bank holidays. Take for example if the first and second of January are Saturday and Sunday respectively, then the third and fourth of January are observed as bank holidays.
Highlights of January 2nd in Scotland
1. Huge fires or bonfires are organized on this day.
2. Some Scottish folks also celebrate “First Footing” on this day. First Footing is the tradition under which natives who enter one’s household for the first time in the new year are considered to be the harbingers of good luck and fortune.
3. Most people recover from the grand celebrations of the New year’s Eve and New Year and prefer to spend some quiet and prosperous time with their family members.
4. Steak pie, shortbread and cheese; lamb or beef stew; pancakes made of scotch along with smoked salmon or butter; rumbledethumps (boiled potatoes and turnips mashed along with cabbage which is stir-fried) and seven-cup pudding (pudding which is steamed along with spices and dried fruits).
5. Since we are talking about Scotland here, it is difficult to not mention whiskey, which remains an important part of the celebrations.
6. Black bun is a common dish of Hogmanay which is basically a pastry case covered with spices, nuts and dried fruits, which are together dipped in brandy.
2nd January Observances
|বছর||সপ্তাহের দিন||দিনাঙ্ক||নাম||ছুটির প্রকার|
|2019||Wed||2 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
|2020||Thu||2 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
|2021||Mon||4 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
|2022||Tue||4 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
|2023||Tue||3 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
|2024||Tue||2 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
|2025||Thu||2 জানুয়ারী||2nd January||স্থানীয় ব্যাংক ছুটি|
1. Is the 2nd of January a holiday?
2nd January is not a public or bank holiday in Wales, England and Northern Ireland. However, 1st and 2nd January are bank holidays in Scotland.
2. Why does Scotland get the 2nd January off?
For some people in Scotland, January 2 is a day to recover from the Christmas and Hogmanay festivities or to spend some peaceful time with friends or family before returning to work on January 3.
3. Why is January 2nd a holiday?
January second is the second day in the Gregorian schedule; it denotes the commemoration of the Sri Lankan Civil War and the dispatch of Luna 1.
4. Is Jan 2 a stat holiday?
This is not a Statutory holiday.
So, this was all you need to know about the 2nd January 2022 celebrations taking place in Scotland. We hope that you really like this article. Thankyou for connecting with us!!