Is the Fall of the Berlin Wall a Public Holiday?
The Fall of the Berlin Wall is an observance and not a public holiday and hence it is not counted in the list of holidays 2021. People look back at the history and rejoice this day when the separation of East and West Berlin ended on 9 November, 1989.
All the private and public organizations remain open on this day. Businesses too, maintain their regular working hours. So, The Fall of the Berlin Wall is not a public holiday, but certainly a great and memorable day for the people of Germany.
The Fall of the Berlin Wall History
The Fall of the Berlin Wall is undoubtedly one of the most searched topics with regards to the history of Germany. Let us now notify you about the history associated with this day.
So, on November 9 1989, German officials made the life altering announcement and the catch phrase “the day the wall came down” began to be associated with this day. A decision was taken by East German officials to open its border which put an end to a 28 years old separation between the East and West Berlin. The wall created barriers in between East and West Germany ever since the second world war ended. The Fall of the Berlin Wall 2021 also marked the beginning of the cold war and with this many geo political changes came into the forefront.
For the uninitiated, the Cold war can be referred to as a particular period of time filled with geopolitical tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union and their respective allies. This immediately came into effect with the end of World War II. With the The Fall of the Berlin Wall many changes came into being. Three of the most prominent ones are mentioned below and the others will follow shortly.
- The Fall of the Berlin Wall marked the conclusive phase of the Cold War.
- The unbalance caused by the East German Communist government also came to a standstill with the Fall of the Berlin Wall.
- The Fall of the Berlin Wall majorly led to the reunification of Germany in 1990 and finally the collapse of Soviet in 1991.
Changes After the Fall of the Berlin Wall
With the fall of the Berlin Wall, various other changes also followed. Let us have a look at them now.
1. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, a huge crowd of East Berliners rushed towards the border when they got to know about the bans getting lifted on travelling across the border.
2. As a repercussion of the fall of the Berlin Wall, travelling became a free activity. They could now go beyond the borders freely.
3. The East Germany border guards were not given any instructions about the changes being made to the “shoot to kill” policy which could be applied to anyone who decided to escape East Germany, but upon hearing about this, they decided not to shoot anyone.
4. Ultimately, it was these border guards only who opened the border and also decided to handle the toppled wall.
5. Up until now, East Germans were forbidden from travelling. Travelling even to West Germany or West Berlin was out of the question. Consequently, many families were broken, people had to stay away from their loved ones. But with the fall of the Berlin Wall, people finally got the chance to reunite with their near and dear ones.
6. An extraordinary sight was noticed near the Brandenburg Gate which was along the city’s dividing line immediately when people got to know about this. Many young Eastern as well as Western Germans climbed to the top of the wall so as to greet one another and celebrate the day.
7. This particular East German action was very much hailed in the Western world and they declared it a historic victory for the cause of freedom. POTUS, George W. Bush called this decision a “dramatic happening for East Germany and, of course, for freedom.”
Fall of the Berlin Wall Observances
|বছর||সপ্তাহের দিন||দিনাঙ্ক||নাম||ছুটির প্রকার|
|2019||Sat||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
|2020||Mon||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
|2021||Tue||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
|2022||Wed||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
|2023||Thu||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
|2024||Sat||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
|2025||Sun||9 নভেম্বর||Fall of the Berlin Wall||পরব|
1. When did the Berlin Wall Fall?
The Berlin wall fell on 9 November in the year 1989. It was a historic day for the people of East Germany.
2. How did the German wall Fall?
On 9 November 1989, the spokesperson of the Communist party of East Berlin announced that there will be a change with his city’s relations with the West. consequently, all restrictions were lifted up and the wall ultimately fell.
3. Did the Berlin Wall Fall put an end to the Cold war?
Yes, the fall of the Berlin wall initiated the beginning of the cold war.
4. What actually happened when the Berlin wall fall?
The unbalance caused by the East German Communist government also came to a standstill with the Fall of the Berlin Wall along with many other prominent changes.
So, this was all you need to know about the fall of the Berlin wall 2021 in Germany. We hope that this article proves to be insightful for you. Thank You so much for connecting with us!!