Is Mother’s Day In Canada A Public Holiday?
Mother’s Day in Canada is not given the status of a public holiday, as per Holidays 2022. It is observed on the second Monday of May each year, and businesses, schools, retail stores, etc. follow their usual schedule for the day. This year, the celebration will fall on 8 মে 2022.
Mother’s Day Holiday History In Canada
The celebration of Mother’s Day has been commercialized in the US over time. However, the history of the commemoration in Canada originates from the same time. When Anna Jarvis began campaigning for the institution of Mother’s Day in the USA, the tradition spilled over the boundaries. Canadians also took this opportunity to honour and esteem their mother and mother-figures. Humans have always revered their mothers as goddesses or a symbol of purity throughout history, as is evident in various cultures and religions. Thus, when the bill was finally passed in America, the celebration of Mother’s Day in Canada also began.
Public Life on New Mother’s Day in Canada
Mother’s Day in Canada is celebrated by the people, on a personal level. Although, this is not a day off for the working class, yet those who live close enough to their moms take out the time to visit her and treat her to a scrumptious dinner among other gifts. Yet, some cannot present her with the gift of their time due to distance. They instead utilize the wonderful system of delivery to send her presents from wherever they are. Let us take a look at some of these Mother’s Day gifts:
- Flowers: Although Carnations are the traditional Mother’s Day flowers, people also give other blooms to their moms or mother-figures. Many also prefer giving a piece of Carnation-shaped jewellery, or using a Carnation as a brooch etc. on the day. Another favourite for Mother’s Day in Canada is the Rose, which is the most-given Mother’s Day flower. Lighter red or deep pink colour of this blossom denotes gratitude and appreciation. French Canadian men in Quebec have a custom of presenting their mothers and wives with a rose.
- Breakfast-in-Bed: This is, of course, the most popular Mother’s Day gift. To show their appreciation for her, children (no matter their ages) give their moms a day off and pamper her. This gesture begins typically with breakfast in bed for her, complete with a flower (usually cooked with the help of Dad).
- Time: This is probably the most precious gift one can give their mothers. In our hectic daily lives, we rarely get the time to sit with our moms and let her know how much we love them. Mother’s Day in Canada is an opportunity for the public to spend the entire Sunday with their mum. They plan games and mother-children activities with her throughout the day and shower her with gifts. The kids usually end the day with a dinner (whether home-cooked by them or at a restaurant). Some can also plan a surprise party for her.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Let us now take a look at some gifts that you can buy for your mum:
- Pyjamas: for her to lounge in after dealing with the day.
- Sleep Mask: for a relaxing sleep.
- Bathtub Caddy: when she wants to relax after a bad day.
- Silk Pillowcase: for her beauty sleep.
- Coffee Maker: to get her battle-ready.
- Flower Baskets: because she deserves it.
- Scented Candle: a relaxing partner to her hobby time.
- Photo Album: a handmade gift containing everyone she loves.
- Bath Bombs: for a relaxing her tense muscles after a hectic day
- Wine Glass: when the coffee doesn’t cut it.
- Jewellery Box Organizer: for her thousands of trinkets.
- Gardening Tool Set: if she has a green thumb.
- Cookbook: if she loves to live in the kitchen.
- Jewellery: because diamonds are a girl’s best friend.
- Purse/Tote/Bag: to carry almost everything you can imagine or ever need (is that a foldable table? Seriously mom?)
Mother’s Day Observances
|বছর||সপ্তাহের দিন||দিনাঙ্ক||নাম||ছুটির প্রকার|
|2019||Sun||12 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
|2020||Sun||10 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
|2021||Sun||9 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
|2022||Sun||8 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
|2023||Sun||14 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
|2024||Sun||12 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
|2025||Sun||11 মে||Mother’s Day||পরব|
1. Which flower symbolizes Mother’s Day?
Carnations are the blooms dedicated to the celebration of Mother’s Day in Canada. However, Rose is the second choice for Mother’s Day flowers in the country.
2. When was Mother’s Day first celebrated in Canada?
By 1911, many American and Canadian provinces had started celebrating Mother’s Day on the second Sunday in May. American President Woodrow Wilson announced 8 May 1914, the first official Mother’s Day.
3. Why is Mother’s Day different in the UK?
Mother’s Day in the UK has no association with the Canadian Mother’s Day. Mothering Day in the UK was the fourth Sunday of Lent when children who had moved away from home went back to spend time with their mothers and families.