Is Al Hijra in UAE a Public Holiday?
Al Hijra 2024 in UAE is a public holiday. All the prominent public as well as private buildings remain closed on this day. Some limit their operational hours in honour of the first day of the New year as per the Hijri or the Islamic calendar. Even though public celebrations are not quite a scenario on this day, people dedicate this day to their faith and devotion.
Al Hijri (Islamic New Year) History in United Arab Emirates
Al Hijra 2024 in UAE celebrations has a significant history and according to it, Hijri or the new year commemorated the event when Prophet Mohammed arrived in Medina after he moved out from Mecca.
This also helps to be a such an occasion which ultimately led to the formation of the first Muslim community with strict bases on Islamic teachings.
So, this migration from Mecca to Medina came to be known as Hijra and it marked the beginning of 1AH, in 622AD, or as it is known as commonly, the Islamic era. The word Hijri word comes from the Arabic word Hijrah, which stands for migration. This entire event was quite a turning point in the history of Islam, which leaves people to introspect on this particular day and quitely ponder upon the passage of time.
The same Islamic year also consists of 12 months according to lunar calculations and is shorter than the Gregorian calendar by 10 to 12 days.
So, this was all you needed to know about the history of Al Hijra 2024 in United Arab Emirates.
Now, let us find out which special events remain the highlight of this day.
How do people celebrate Al Hijra?
1. As it has been already mentioned, this day mostly remains dedicated to the cause of faith and deviation. Large scale and extra glittery celebrations are not associated with Al Hijra 2024 in UAE.
2. Folks in UAE quietly welcome the new year and along with reflecting on the passage of time, they also honour the inducement of Islam and the circumstances which were responsible for it.
3. Hotels and restaurants refrain from serving alcohol on this particular day as it is a sin to consume alcohol as per the traditional Islamic conventions and philosophies.
4. Both the private as well as the public sector employees are granted holidays on this occasion when Al Hijra 2024 in UAE arrives.
Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year) Observances
|वर्ष||सप्ताहातील दिवस||दिनांक||नाव||सुट्टीचे प्रकार|
|2019||शनि||31 ऑगस्ट||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
|2020||रवि||23 ऑगस्ट||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
|2021||मंगळ||10 ऑगस्ट||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
|2022||शनि||30 जुलै||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
|2023||बुध||19 जुलै||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
|2024||रवि||7 जुलै||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
|2025||गुरु||26 जून||Al-Hijra (Islamic New Year)||राष्ट्रीय सुट्ट्या|
1. Is Al Hijra in UAE a bank holiday?
Yes, Al Hijra in UAE is a bank holiday. All the private as well as the public sector employees remain closed on this day.
2. Is Muhuraam a holiday in UAE?
Muharram in UAE is the first month of the Hijri calendar, but its first day remains a holiday.
3. Do people fast during Muharram and Al Hijra?
Fasting is reserved for the month of Ramadan, when people remain hungry from dawn till dusk.
4. Is Al Hijra a lunar festival?
Yes, the celebrations of UAE ger commenced in accordance with the lunar sightings. So, yes the Moon plays a great role in the celebrations of Al Hijra in UAE.
So, this is all you need to know about Al Hijra (Islamic New Year) 2024 in the UAE. Hope you will appreciate this write up. Thank You so much for connecting with us and wish you a very prosperous Al-Hijra!!