Is Whit Sunday in Germany a Public Holiday?
No, Whit Sunday in Germany is not a public holiday and doesn’t get included in the list of holidays 2020. It has gained the status of a religious holiday. Most of the office, colleges and business organisations maintain their usual working hours on this particular day. But it should also be kept in mind that Whit Sunday falls on a Sunday, which is why the basic policies associated with Sundays will remain operative in case of this day too.
Local rites and rituals known as ’Whitsunday’ are followed on this day which have close associations with the Pentecost Sunday 2020 in Germany. Public transport services may also maintain their regular timings on the occasion of Whit Sunday in Germany, but there may be some slight local variations.
Whit Sunday History
As per the history, Whit Sunday in Germany and its traditions revolve around Pentecost or Whit Monday. The day is commemorated approximately seven weeks after Easter and ten days after the ascension takes place. The observance, Whit Sunday in Germany generally marks the end of the Easter cycle which begins ninety days ago with the observance of ’Ash Wednesday’. It is believed that in the form of flames the holy spirit arrived at the Apostles on this particular day. This episode has been mentioned in the ’New Testament’ of the Bible.
Public Life on Whit Sunday in Germany
Let us now find out what actually happens on Whit Sunday 2020 in Germany. Below given are a list of events and activities which take place on Whit Sunday in Germany.
- Since Whit Sunday in Germany falls on a Sunday, the basic regularities which are maintained on a regular Sunday are taken care of during this day too.
- Post Offices, banks and other public institutions remain closed on Whit Sunday in Germany.
- There are certain restrictions which are followed in the case of selling and consuming alcoholic beverages at a public place, dancing around and conducting public performances.
- Spring fun fairs are held in many parts of the country as Whit Sunday often brings in a long and extended weekend which ends with Pentecost.
- Special church services are also organised and people attend it in large numbers.
- A special tradition called Morris dancing also takes place on this particular day.
- Choirs take place in Churches which are mostly a part of the parade. Girls are specially called in to lead the choir and they are dressed up in white.
- In some parts of Lower Saxony State, Birch trees are crowned and decorated with some huge wreaths.
- This is also done to symbolize the upcoming fertile spring and summer seasons.
- In rurals areas of Germany, cattles are taken off to the fields and the strongest ones are selected to be dressed up. A procession is held where they lead the procession after being decorated with flowers and looking all decked up.
Whit Sunday Observances
|2019||Sun||9 June||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
|2020||Sun||31 May||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
|2021||Sun||23 May||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
|2022||Sun||5 June||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
|2023||Sun||28 May||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
|2024||Sun||19 May||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
|2025||Sun||8 June||Whit Sunday||Observance, Christian|
1. Is Whit Sunday in Germany a bank holiday?
Since Whit Sunday in Germany falls on a Sunday, banks remain closed on this day.
2. Why is it named “ Whit Sunday” ?
The name Whit Sunday comes from the word White Sunday as this is supposed to be the day when the holy spirit descended to the Apostle.
3. Do Church Services take place on Whit Sunday?
Yes, certainly the Church services take place on Whit Sunday along with Choirs.
We hope that you will appreciate this write up of ours on Whit Sunday 2020 in Germany. Thank You so much for connecting with us. Wish you a very happy and prosperous Whit Sunday!!