Is New Year’s Eve A Public Holiday?
New Year’s Eve is not considered a public holiday in major parts of the world, including countries such as the United Kingdom, USA, Australia, Canada and much more. However, natives host major New Year’s Eve parties and celebratory events to commemorate this occasion. Therefore, several professional offices, sectors, institutions, schools, public sector headquarters and much more alter their closing and opening time, and public transport systems adjust as well. On the other hand, some countries such as India may mark this day as an optional holiday. Hence, banks, government offices, shops, universities etc. remain closed on this day.
New Year’s Eve History
New Year’s Eve history holds relevant significance and commemorates the beginning of its observance. New Year’s Eve celebrates the ending of the year and makes way for the New Year to enlighten the lives of people with new opportunities, chances, possibilities and challenges. People have mixed feelings on this day, since they are stepping up on the ladder of life. Some become nostalgic thinking about their lives in the past 12 months and events that took place.
The Gregorian Calendar was introduced in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII, and adopted in some European countries. It was centuries later that the Calendar was taken into account and implied all over the world for a fair regulation. New Year’s Eve festivities go all the way back to the time when Christianity was not massively practiced in Europe. However, with the passage of time, Christianity came into prominence and all such festivals were induced with Christian beliefs.
Why To Celebrate New Year’s Eve?
There are multiple reasons that justify the celebrations taking place on New Year’s Eve all over the world. Why celebrate New Year’s Eve? Below are some reasons:
- This day enables people to bid a happy or nostalgic farewell to the current year and allows them to welcome the New Year with an open mind, heart and view.
- New Year’s Eve can be the perfect time to reflect on your actions, deeds, outcomes and much more. This helps you understand your weak points and take necessary actions in the coming year. This is one of the main reasons why people make New Year’s Resolutions.
- The night of New Year’s Eve can be an ideal occasion to invite all your family members, and relatives and organize a family party with barbeque, delicious items and funny games.
- There are some who love enjoying the New Year’s Eve peacefully and spending time with themselves. Hence, this day gives them a chance to do what they desire without any pressure or demands.
- People get to take a much-needed break from their hectic schedule and enjoy a night of partying with friends and loved ones. This is why New Year’s Eve Celebrations are famous all around the globe.
- In many cultures, religious activities are carried out to thank the Lords for their blessings throughout the year. Hence, the significance of this day gets enhanced as well.
New Year’s Eve Celebrations
New Year’s Eve is a day of mass celebration all around the world. All night parties, fireworks, get-togethers, family reunions and much more are organized on this day.
Mouth-watering delicacies are prepared on New Year’s Eve, one day before the New Year’s Day. In some countries, parades are organised and carried out on a huge scale, and people exchange New Year wishes and gifts with their loved ones.
Some visit the churches and attend midnight church services on New Year’s Eve to offer their gratitude and appreciate the life the Lord has given to them. Youngsters, on this day, gather around various public places in numerous countries and become part of New Year celebrations and ceremonies. Some countries live telecast the celebrations on New Year’s Eve for the natives living around the world. In Year’s time, theme parties are very famous, where people dress up accordingly and New Year decorations are also customised as per the theme or concept. Some of the famous New Year party themes are formal masquerade ball theme, costume party, winter wonderland theme, roaring 60’s theme, glitter theme and much more.
Midnight countdown is famously carried out on the last minutes of New Year’s Eve, where people gather together and chant the countdown usually 10 seconds before the clock strikes 12. The last strike marks the end of the current year and commencement of the New Year. People hug each other, offer New Year wishes and greetings by saying “Happy New Year”, and cut the cake. In some countries, huge fireworks are carried out, and the commoners witness this beautiful sight together with their loved ones.
New Year’s Eve - Names in Other Languages
|English:||New Year’s Eve|
|Hindi:||नए साल की शाम/ इकतीस दिसंबर|
|Spanish:||Fiesta de Fin de Año|
|Irish:||Oíche Chinn Bliana|
|Portuguese:||Véspera de Ano Novo|
1. Which country has the best fireworks?
New Zealand’s largest cities greeted the new year with fireworks.
2. Can you celebrate New Year twice?
It is only possible to observe the New Year’s Eve twice by traveling eastwards across the International Date Line.
3. What country celebrates April New Year?
Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Thailand, and Cambodia.
4. Why is January first the new year?
There is no astronomical justification on January 1 for celebrating New Year’s Day. New Year starts on January 1st, in the New Style or Gregorian calendar.
We wish you all a very happy New Year’s Eve!!